Monday, December 14, 2009

Polyvored

It was a quick drawing I did for Illustration friday for the topic "seed". Ethan was just a baby at the time so I went for a walk in the local park and drew it as he slept. A few months ago I found this on polyvore and was at first alarmed, then flattered, but now I am not sure how to feel about it. When I found it, it had been up there on Polyvore for a whole year. When I told my husband and my sister they said "that's great Anna!!". I am happy that the image is linked back to my blog, which is the way I found it in the first place. But then the artwork looks terrible cut like that. I do not condone the use of other peoples work, but I also like to do collages for my own scrapbooks and sometimes as inspiration for my artworks using photos I have cut from magazines. I also play around with fashion styling using pictures I have saved off fashion sites, plus I have dabbled with polyvore using fashion images. I assume that most of the collages on polyvore are done by young teenagers who have probably not even thought of the ownership issues. So where do you draw the line?

4 comments:

Alisa said...

Wow! Makes you wonder what you don't know about, huh! I have mixed feelings about it too. I don't know, is it easier to just put a creative commons license on it and hope that people bother to check the details or does that just leave you too exposed...?

Shirley said...

Anna, wow, this is interesting and although they cropped it, I'm glad that they did have a link back to your blog. I would have been alarmed as well!

BUT, I must say, THANK YOU so very much for the wonderful, wonderful illustration of your beautiful "Superb Blue Wren" and card!! You are a talented, talented lady...I will be posting about it soon..it has been a whirlwind of a month..and I hope to get to my blog more regularly. You are a gem to participate in the exchange and I am now a very proud owner of one of your wonderful paintings. Thank you so so much! Happy holidays to you!! Shirley

Anna Lloyd said...

I must say that after I posted this I also found some Gennine Zlatkis artwork on Polyvore and spoke to another artist who gets it all the time. She said that you can ask Polyvore to remove it if you want to fill out the forms, and she recommended putting watermarks on all images posted on the interweb.

Anna Lloyd said...

Thanks Shirley!